Welcome to a tutorial on temporarily deactivating a Facebook Messenger account. Sick of messenger and want to leave it for a while without actually permanently deleting the account? Then temporarily deactivating your account is the option for you. It allows you to ‘not exist’ on messenger until you decide you want to use it again. Learn how to temporarily deactivate your Messenger account now!
Steps To Deactivate Messenger:
Before you can deactivate messenger you first have to deactivate Facebook. You can actually do this from within the messenger app.
• Open messenger and tap on your profile picture in the top left corner.
• Scroll down and tap on ‘Account Settings’.
• Scroll down to the ‘Your Facebook information’ heading and tap on ‘account ownership and control’.
• Tap ‘Deactivation and Deletion’.
• Select ‘Deactivate Account’ and then tap on ‘continue to account deactivation’.
• Choose a reason as to why you are deactivating your account, you can choose any reason here, then tap ‘continue’.
• There is an option to have your account automatically reactivated after a certain amount of days, you can choose that if you like, but if you don’t want it to automatically reactivate then choose ‘don’t reactivate automatically’ and tap done.
• Then tap ‘Continue’.
• Tap on ‘Deactivate My Account’ at the bottom of the page.
You have now successfully deactivated your Facebook account, now you can deactivate your messenger!
• Close and reopen the messenger app, you will have to login again.
• Tap on your profile image in the top left corner.
• Then scroll down to and tap on ‘Legal and Policies’ you should see a deactivate messenger option, below ‘third-party notices’ . (However, it is not there for everyone, as was the case for me. If it is not there you can fix this by deleting and re-downloading the messenger app. )
• When you have deleted and re-downloaded the messenger app, open it up, you will have to sign in again.
• Now from the home screen of messenger tap on your profile image again from the top left, and then scroll down to and tap on ‘legal & policies’, the ‘Deactivate Messenger’ button should have miraculously appeared! Tap on it.
• Tap on the blue ‘Deactivate’ button.
Your messenger has now been deactivated! That draws an end to this tutorial, I hope that it helped you. If you have any questions please leave them in the comments below!